Are you taking advantage of the beautiful fall days and enjoying your driving experience? Fall is a great time to hop in the car and go for a relaxing drive, especially here in Central New York as all the leaves are changing. If you happen to love fall drives, here are some great tips to check out before you take off.
- School is in session – drive carefully! Give yourself extra time getting to and from your destinations, as school buses are busy loading and unloading students!
- Watch for children running after buses or riding bikes, scooters, or skateboards to school. It only takes a minute for a child to dash into the street, so keep your focus!
- Darker skies and wet leaves on the roadways make for slick driving conditions. Be sure to allow yourself a little more stopping distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
- SUV drivers need to pay special attention because of their higher center of gravity – this means it takes longer to slow down in any driving conditions and slick road surfaces make that stopping distance even longer.
- Children have a habit of jumping into and hiding in any pile of leaves – that could include leaf-piles on roadways. Be sure you avoid leaf-piles as you drive!
- Watch for wildlife, as deer are more active in the fall.